Preventing diseases and other health problems is always cheaper and easier than treating them once they’ve developed. Below, we’ve shared our current preventive health care recommendations for your dogs. For suggestions specific to your canine, schedule an appointment with your Bramer Animal Hospital veterinarian online or by calling 847-864-1700.
Current Recommendations (for Adults)
Annual Physical Examination and Health Consultation
- Rabies (every 3 years for adult dogs)
- Distemper-Hepatitis-Parvo (every 3 years for adult dogs)
- Bordetella (kennel cough) Required by dog parks, dog beaches, daycare and boarding facilities (requirements vary from yearly to every 6 months)
- Leptospirosis (yearly and recommended especially for the same group of dogs that get the Bordetella vaccination)
- Canine Influenza (“flu”) This vaccination is occasionally required by some boarding and daycare facilities. It is recommended for those dogs who board and/or travel frequently
Fecal Examination for Intestinal Parasites
This is required by dog parks, dog beaches, many daycare facilities and is recommended annually.
This is recommended annually.
Heartworm and Intestinal Parasite Prevention
- If your dog frequents dog parks, dog beaches, daycare and/or boarding facilities (there may be an increased risk of exposure to a wider variety of intestinal parasites)
- If you have young children (potential exposure to parasite eggs in dog feces in your yard exists and some intestinal parasites of dogs can infect people)
- If your dog has ever had whipworms
- If you travel often with your dog to places outside your neighborhood
We recommend using the heartworm preventives Sentinel or Interceptor Plus monthly and year-round for heartworm and intestinal parasite prevention. The year-round recommendation is based on a longer season of exposure to intestinal parasites than just heartworms.
If your dog does not fit the above risk factors, either Sentinel or Interceptor Plusseasonally (June to December) is adequate.
Fleas and Ticks
Ticks: Springtime (March, April, May and June) is when we see ticks, and prevention with FrontLine Gold, as well as Vectra 3D monthly is effective. Braveto is a chewable pill that can protect your dog from fleas and ticks for 3 months.
Fleas: Summer and Fall (June to November) until a hard freeze is when we see fleas, and prevention with FrontLine Plus, Vectra 3D, and Advantage monthly is effective.
To make it simple, FrontLine Gold or Vectra 3D monthly from March to November covers fleas AND ticks in our area. Or oral Braveto every 3 months works, too.
Other Options for 2020